Sunday 28 September 2014

Lip Me Up And Down


Happy Sunday you guys! As I mentioned in my post on lip balms, lip colour is dangerous ground for me and nine out of ten lipsticks will look great for an evening but then cause dryness and irritation for days afterwards. I know I’m not alone in this problem, and these are a few of the lipsticks I’ve discovered that work with my sensitivity.

The first lipstick that ever worked for me, many moons ago, was the Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey (£17.50 on their website), given to me by my mum (thanks mum). It comes out more like a stain than a lipstick, a lovely berry colour (not the scary black you might expect) that is easily layered to be as dark or as gentle as you like. Generally the price you have to pay for a moisturising lipstick is a willingness to reapply it very frequently, and this one is no exception. Going on, it feels more like a balm, and I’ve never had any problems with it – in fact, as my very first lipstick, it made me more trusting than I should have been and I got my little heart broken, but I have forgiven it and we’ve been working on repairing our relationship. 

As you may have guessed from the picture, I have a slight addiction to corals, which I can totally stop any time I want and anyone who says otherwise is lying. One of my first, bravest and brightest corals was Rimmel Lasting Finish in 210 Coral in Gold (£4.99 in Boots). It’s not as moisturising as the others I’ll mention, and I can’t use it if my lips or skin is feeling particularly sensitive, but the colour is excellent and the staying power, as you might guess from the name, is good – maybe not as much as I’d expect from a lipstick that claims eight-hour wear, and it’s no Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet, but it’s practically the Holy Grail if lasting lipsticks have seemed like an unattainable dream, as they have for me.

I agonised over this Bobbi Brown Lip Colour (currently 10% off at Debenhams for £17.55) for literal months before I bought it. I fell in love with the colour 26, Rose Berry, but as it’s a higher-end product I wasn’t sure I could take the risk that it would be another lipstick I’d have to retire to the back of my drawer because of irritation. Eventually I took the plunge when Debenhams had a discount event on National Lipstick Day (the 29th of July, if you’re curious), and I thanked the lipstick gods, because it’s gorgeous. A rich, dark rose colour, without shimmer but with a gentle shine, it’s beautifully, beautifully smooth and feels like silk. Lip liner is a must, as the colour does tend to fade just a little bit, but it doesn’t completely disappear like some lipsticks and only leaves the tiniest smudges on my wine glasses (classy). I’m in love.

Here’s the part where I physically cannot shut up about Revlon. They are hands down my favourite brand for lip products, and the introduction of their ColourBurst Balm Stain (£7.99 in Boots) changed my life. I have it in Rendezvous, a super bright coral and my favourite lip product in the world ever, and Honey, a lovely pale rosy nude. The colours are rich and gorgeous with a minty scent, which I know annoys some people but which I love, and as the name suggests, the staying power is just incredible – like no other lip product I’ve been able to use, ever. I’ve never had any problems with irritation from these and I use them all the time, as you can tell by how well-loved they look. My one and only gripe with this product is the packaging – the lids tend to come off, so you can’t just shove them in your handbag without the risk of disaster. I’ve seen telltale bits of tape on them in other bloggers’ photos, too, so I know it’s a problem a lot of people have. FYI, it’s very hard to make a phone call and wipe Rendezvous off your touch screen at the same time.

My final recommendation is Revlon, again. I told you I couldn’t shut up. This time it’s their ColourBurst Lip Butter (£7.99 in Boots). This is the creamiest, loveliest product, very glossy and smooth and with a great range of incredible colours – I have 027 Juicy Papaya (coral again) and 063 Wild Watermelon, which is a bright pinkish red, but I’ve definitely got my eye on almost the entire range as well. I just love these. After the Balm Stains these are probably the lip products I use the most, and certainly the most lipstick-y products in my usual rotation. They feel gorgeous, practically like a moisturiser they’re so creamy and they don’t irritate at all. I think I’m in love. I don’t know what’s in the water over at Revlon, but I definitely hope they keep drinking it.

Terrible metaphors aside, that’s my roundup of the lip colours that don’t irritate my crazy lips done. I hope you’ve found it useful, and definitely let me know if there are any you think I’ve missed out.

You can now follow us on Instagram! We’re @savingxfaces on there; please do follow for sneak peeks at new posts and more super awesome stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment